July 11 Prime Contracts -- 8:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
July 12 Set-asides Small Business -- 8:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
$50 Each Day; $75 Both Days
Darla Moore School Of Business
Lumpkin Auditorium, 8th Floor
1705 College St.
Columbia, S.C. 29208
$50 for Each Day $75 for Both Days
Reserved FREE Parking
8:30 Welcome -- Michele Abraham, SC SBDC State Director
8:35 Opening Remarks -- Scott Adams, VP, Prysmian Group, NA
8:45 Contracting Principles - Scott H. Bellows
- Fair and Reasonable
- Responsive and Responsible
9:45 Finding Work Opportunities - Sherry Pittinger
- Prime Contracting & Subcontracting
11:00 Working with the Prime Contractor Community
- Introduction by Mr. Butch Wallace, Cong. Joe Wilson's Office
- Moderated by Greg Davis: S.C. Department of Commerce
- Prime Contractors : Brad Burton, Shaw Construction Group;
- Scott Spigener, M.B. Kahn Construction Co., Inc.
- In the context of government contracting, how does your subcontracting program work?
- What are some do's and don'ts for subcontractors seeking work with your company?
- For those who have been awarded contracts with your company, what makes some stand out and others fade into the background?
- What is your anticipation of government buyer needs (next year and beyond) and how might this affect the subcontractors you work with?
8:30 Welcome & Opening Remarks -- Michele Abraham, SC SBDC State Director; Daulton Tresvant of Congressman James Clyburn's Office
8:35 An Overview of Set-aside Programs - Steve Taylor
- Set-aside Implementation, a Matter of Consideration
8:50 Where and How to Apply - Steve Taylor
- Identifying Set-asides
- Marketing to the government - Role of the Small Business Specialist, Corporate Profiles
- Fair & Reasonable, Responsive & Responsible
- Pre-solicitations and Sources Sought
- Networking (and timing), Website, etc.
- Mentoring-Protege agreements
Enhancing performance (and support services),
10:00 Prime and Sub-contracting (for the certified vendor) -- Scott H. Bellows
- Finding Primes to Work with
- The Small Business Prime Contractor
- Prime Work Requirements (as a percentage)
- Non-manufacturer's Rule, Teaming Agreements
11:00 Set-asides and Working with Your Government
Introduction by Eric Bedingfield, Deputy Congressman Mulvaney
Moderated by Greg Davis
Panelists: James Giffin, Linda Blanton; Cecil Hannibal, OBO Administrator, City of Columbia;
Chappelle Broome, Director of HR/DBE Liaison Officer, CAE Airport; Brenda Parnell, SC DOT Certification, SC Dept. of Transportation; Keith Friot, Pre-award Division Chief, Ft. Jackson; Randall May, Dir. of Bus. Oper. & Small Bus. Specialist, Shaw AFB
The panel will field, first-hand, questions from the audience along the following lines:
- Describe your procurement operations and what you feel that you do to identify and bring on first-time contractors?
- Describe what, if anything, you do to encourage your prime contractors to bring on new sub-contractors?
- How do small businesses learn about smaller contracting opportunities that are not published in SCBO, FedBizOpps, etc.?